Whether you’re just starting out or have been in business for years, it’s always good to have access to resources that can help you improve your business and serve your customers better. Here are some great resources that all garden centers, nurseries, and other garden-related businesses should take advantage of.
1. With videos like “10 Low-Cost Plant Nursery Tips’ and “A Career in Horticulture: Make a Living Growing Plants” Fraser Valley Rose Farm YouTube Channel run by Jason, has endless resources for running your own garden business. He gives maintenance and growth advice catered to small farms especially ones just starting out.
2. Savvy Gardening is a website and blog maintained by experts and published authors on the topics of growing and designing gardens. While Savvy Gardening is directed mainly toward consumers, it is a great place to stay informed about current trends and subjects that your customers are interested in. They also offer online courses meant to build knowledge and confidence around growing.
3. The National Gardening Association is a non-profit organization that provides resources and support for gardeners and garden center businesses.
4. So You Want To Start A Garden Center? is a book by Tony Avent tells the story of how he quit his job to pursue his dream of building a specialty nursery and grew it into a successful business with over 30 employees.
5. Also, check out our blog post “How to Start Your Own Garden Center” for financial tips and general information about getting into the garden center business.
6. Garden Center Magazine is a leading trade publication for the garden center industry, providing insights and trends for business owners. One of the reasons they are a great resource is that they have relatable and real stories like this one about a husband and wife team on what it takes to run a garden center. and this one about the struggles of pottery inventory post-covid.
7. Grower Talks is a published resource (and also digital) that’s been around for almost a century. Their editors are always on the move, attending trade shows and visiting greenhouses worldwide for the latest stories, trends, and more. If Grower Talks is outside your scope the same publishing company also has Green Profit directed toward garden centers and business.
8. AmericanHort is a national association for the horticulture industry, offering networking and educational opportunities for garden center professionals. Some educational topics they have covered are data-driven inventory management and building an effective marketing message.
9. If you feel like you can’t do it all on your own, The Garden Center Group is a consulting group and community of garden centers and experts that support each other by providing insights and strategies for garden center owners.
10. Garden Center Marketing is a company offering marketing tips and strategies for garden center businesses, and website and print marketing services.
11. Garden Retail Success is an online resource for garden center businesses, offering mentoring, consulting, and coaching services.
13. Garden Center TV is an online video platform featuring educational content for garden center professionals. Garden Center TV features interviews with industry experts, practical tips and advice on how to grow your business, and updates on industry news.
14. Atlanta Market at AmericasMart is the premier gift, decor, and lifestyle market for the retail industry with two annual expos.
15. TNLA Nursery Landscape Expo in Texas with educational offerings to help you run your business better.
16. FARWEST National Nursery & Greenhouse Trade Show in Portland Oregon helps inspire you to increase the efficiency, sales, and profitability of your business
17. FNGLA The Landscape Show is a show where you will see the newest plant-related products and equipment. They offer educational programs, peer-to-peer exchanges, and inspiration to grow your business.
Have any other great garden center resources you’d like to share? Comment below.